Friday, March 14, 2008

Sustainable Education Solutions

Seeking To Build A Community of Life Through Humanistic Education - SEIN Newsletter
Volume VI, Issue 1

Sustainable Education Solutions
by Jill Rees

In 2003, I was working as Head of Department at a school, in a depressing run-down town in the UK, which had just failed its inspection and was now in special measures. This was great for me, as it meant I could set up the department as I saw fit. The teachers were all new, and it was my responsibility to train them. Also, the government had just brought in two new initiatives which were fantastic, the National Framework and the Key Stage 3 Strategy. I had been teaching for 3 years, and was beginning to feel I knew what I was doing. I had been to six-monthly sessions with the UK Soka Education Division at our national centre, Taplow Court, and had read the online Soka Education Newsletter.

As I understood it, Soka education meant respecting each individual and adopting as the primary aim of education the happiness of each child. Of course, happiness is a difficult thing to define, and is different for each person, but it certainly involves following Sensei's guidance about doing your best and determining to have victory in everything you set out to achieve. To transmit this attitude to the children in this under-performing school, most of whom were without ambition and often with little self-esteem, seemed difficult. Some of the children came from very poor and sometimes violent and abusive backgrounds. Their academic ambitions were slight, and their belief that they could make a happy and successful life for themselves non-existent. Unemployment in the area meant that opportunities for them were slim.

My department became the key to the whole school. I encouraged my teachers to work as a team by explaining about itai doshin and chanting for 2 hours each morning before work. Among other community based activities, I established an annual trip to France, to which over 80% of the year sevens subscribed, and a French exchange in liaison with the local partner school. My department led the next Government Inspection, in which the teachers were judged 'excellent', which is quite rare. The students showed great enthusiasm for learning languages, which is almost unheard of in British schools.

Late in 2003, I was offered the opportunity to take a Master’s degree as part of my school professional development, which would mean I didn't have to pay! For the second part of this degree, I studied the systemic theory of education, which struck me as being essentially Buddhist. The principle of the systemic theory is that everything is interconnected, so if you change one part the whole changes, like a fisherman's net. I felt I could attempt to establish Soka Education in my department by using some of the systemic ideas. I started using the systemic method with my classes, with good results.

When you teach systemically, your actions as a teacher are based on the idea that the class is a system, and other often unknown areas of the students' lives are also affecting them; for example their home life, their other lessons, the ethos of the school, and their social experiences. If a child is under-performing, is demotivated, is misbehaving or is unhappy in the lesson, it is not seen as a fault in the child. Instead, a change within the holistic system is required. The child continues to be completely respected for themselves as they are, and the cause of problems seen as being systemic rather than the fault of the student.

The teacher is always able to change, however, as is their own behaviour, and this will affect the whole class and each individual child. The teacher needs to work out the cause of the problem, and find a suitable solution. This isn't always possible, as the teacher is lacking information, or hasn't been able to perceive the true nature of the problem. However, any change in the teacher's behaviour will then change the student's behaviour. Either the problem will be solved, or it will change so that the teacher can get a better idea of what is going on. The teacher takes full responsibility for the problem and sets about changing the situation using the principles of Buddhist practice. By increasing one's life-state, understanding and robustness to deal with the difficulties we face in teaching, the teacher can affect humanistic solutions. I realized that these are Buddhist ideas, of cause and effect, of ichinen sanzen, and the interconnectivity of all phenomena.

So, by creating systemic changes in the classroom, I was able to engage everyone and felt that each student was acting how they wanted to and taking control of their own way of learning. At first, however, I didn't understand how this really worked. What was happening that enabled children with quite serious problems to become happy and to find confidence in their ability such that their assessment results improved so much? I felt this was beyond the scope of the systemic method I was using, that they had missed something.

The Soka Educators International Network (SEIN) forum is about humanistic and caring education. As I participated in such discussions with educators throughout the world, and chanted to find the deeper causes in what I was doing, I began to realize that something else was going on. By accepting each child as an essential part of the 'system' – the class, as they are, and changing myself or the circumstances they were in rather than trying to change the child, I was actually deeply respecting and caring for each child's life. I took full responsibility for their happiness and their learning in my class, and was willing immediately to do whatever I could to enable them to be more themselves. I had been able to discover in myself my fundamental respect for my students.

In trials in other schools, which I was studying as part of my degree, teachers and school managers had begun to apply systems theory, but had usually given up at a certain point. The view of the academics was that they hadn't been able to take on board the philosophy behind systems theory, which is very profound and all-encompassing. However, I felt that it went further. The underlying principle of systems theory is Buddhism. The developers of systems theory had found truths which they were unable to access more profoundly because the Buddhist principles which understood the importance of enabling each individual to live an amazing life and develop his or her full potential were misunderstood. Before I went to work, I would chant to enable each child to be happy as if they were members of my district.

The students were encouraged to think of themselves as the foundation of the society of the future. I would take time to explain that they would be the people who decide what the world will be like. They came to think of themselves as more connected to life outside school, and to think more positively about what they will do in the future. If they had difficult circumstances at home, I would encourage them to realize that they will one day be able to set up their own home, which could be a good one full of love. I began to introduce some of Sensei's guidance for young people into my assemblies, and was amazed at how the naughtiest boys listened so carefully to guidance to work hard, do their homework and change society for the better. (They didn't actually do their homework, thank goodness, or I might have died of shock!)

Many of the students changed their attitudes in other classes too, and teachers reported to me that such-and-such a child had stopped messing about and started working. The results were really miraculous. However there were other consequences. The children became used to speaking out, to being listened to, and to their questions being answered. Some teachers found this very challenging.

At this point, the Soka teacher may face obstacles. These obstacles are proof that we are humanizing our part of education. They are the ‘persecutions of the votary' which try to prevent humanism and enlightenment from spreading and which therefore impede Kosen Rufu.

As Nichiren wrote in The Opening of the Eyes:

"But if I utter so much as a word concerning it, then parents, brothers, and teachers will surely censure me, and the ruler of the nation will take steps against me. On the other hand, I am fully aware that but if I do not speak out, I will be lacking in compassion, p.64…. I have considered which course to take in the light of the teachings of the Lotus and Nirvana sutras. If I remain silent, I may escape persecutions in this lifetime, but in my next life I will most certainly fall into the hell of incessant suffering. If I speak out, I am fully aware that I will have to contend with the three obstacles and four devils. But of these two courses, surely the latter is the one to choose." Page 239 The Writings of Nichiren Daishonin.


The stark choice facing Soka educators today is whether to continue resolutely with faith, until the victory of humanistic schools is achieved, or to give up on Sensei's vision in the educational aspect of Kosen Rufu. Time and time again I have heard Soka educators tell me how they found obstructions in their attempts to introduce humanism in their school, and how they fought to overcome them. Victory is our continued struggle – the actualization of Kosen Rufu in education may lie in the eventual actions of our students in the future, but for them, we must carry on. Every time we deal in a humanistic way with a child is a victory for kosen rufu and a cause for a more humanistic education in the future.

Before I left my last school, the children in my class decided that when they were adults, they would work in their children's schools to recreate what they had experienced with me. Some of these will be leaders of education, and it is certain that schools will change when our students in turn make this sort of vow. In systemic theory, it is advised that the whole school adopt the method. Authority over a class is based on soft power and may be mistaken for loss of control by traditional teachers. The child too may take time to change. Sometimes, children have lost confidence in teachers' desire to genuinely have their interests to heart. It may be that a child doesn't change in the way you hope, but you have to accept the decision the child makes as he or she becomes more self-aware. The children are beginning to create value, and where value is not the school's aim, the value created may be to change certain aspects of the school. If the whole school was systemic, these ideas would be listened to, and a co-operative environment established.

Because the class and the school is part of the wider community, I began to understand that a truly systemic education would involve more than just the school itself. Systemic education is often called sustainable education, and can be an essential part of our attempt to make life on earth more sustainable. As I was beginning to have these thoughts, the SEIN Forum returned, this time discussing the Earth Charter. At the same time, my Head Quarters put on the Earth Charter Exhibition and I took an active part in this. This enlarging of my understanding of the role I might play in the world led me to feel I had a global mission, just as Sensei says! I am in the process of designing a programme for teacher training which I hope will be used throughout both the developing world, where the method can help set up in new schools, and in the first world where changes are also needed for the new world of the future.

Systemic, or sustainable education, is a way to implement Soka education principles and methods within current educational institutions. It can be an instruction manual for how to actualize the happiness of each child.

Buddhism in society through the medium of education, which is the one of the key remits of SGI. Sustainable education will be used as a humanistic method of education which creates collaborative learning for the modern world, and just as soft power has taken over from hard power practices, systems theory will become increasingly accepted in the mainstream. This type of method also can serve well in places where Soka schools are not yet an option, and can be introduced immediately by Buddhist educators wherever they may work. It has academic credence and is secular, although based on Buddhist principles. For the individual teacher, using the systemic method in the classroom transforms the attitude of the students and makes teaching a joy once more.

The SOKA EDUCATORS INTERNATIONAL NETWORK is a volunteer project created to inspire educators who are implementing Soka Education in different ways. The Newsletter's new goal is to create a robust network of Soka educators to support the growing development of humanistic education. To be added to the mailing list or removed from it, or to receive back issues, please contact Stephanie Tansey at tansey@usa.net.

10 comments:

cinnamon said...

thanks Jill for a really inspiring and moving paper. I agree that everything depends on putting the student at the centre and that when things dont work out addressing the learning rather than the behaviour is the way to go. It can stir things up for other people though! When the teacher changes I agree that everything changes too.
I'd be interested in reading more about systemic education - do you have some references for further reading?
thanks, Cath

Constance said...

I agree, Jill, BRAVO! You have really taken a difficult concept and made it accessable to everyone!

Constance, Maryland

Stephanie said...

Perhaps Jill, you can talk about Gregory Bateson who was the pioneer behind systemic education. I am still readying his "Man and Nature" where he shows you that all life has consciousness and every form of life tells a unique story. And that is written on the spiral shell of a snail or in the development of limbs and body of all life forms. Because all life has a brain where this story is lodged, we can of course communicate together -- life to life -- just as Nichiren describes, because at the essence of all life is the Buddha nature. So with students then, connecting to their hearts -- is essentially connecting consciousness to consciousness -- something we all have experienced but didn't have a way to describe this non-religiously.

Anonymous said...

Here are some suggested reading and the biblio for the article



The most important resource is the chap who put all this together, Gregory Bateson, Steps to an Ecology of Mind 1972 Chicago

An interesting and scholarly battle with systems theory is Fritjof Capra The Hidden Connections 2003 Flamingo

http://www.bath.ac.uk/cree/sterling.htm Dr Sterling's PhD research was also inspiring

Changing Problem Behaviour in Schools by Molnar and Lindquist 1989 Jossey-Bass is considered the authoritative work on the more practical aspect of applying systemic practise in schools, however this is the issue I mentioned in the article, without an understanding of the principles trials have not been continued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_for_Sustainable_Development

Jill

Anonymous said...

I don't want to get carried away with the difficulties in saying life has conciousness or talk of spirals.
As the universe has developed everything within it has developed in relation to everything else. Really there is no other way for this to occur! Darwin has the idea that a species adjusts to its environment, but the systemic thinker would suggest that the creature and the environment have influenced each other as they developed together. The basis of systemics is that everything is completely and necessarily interconnected

In terms of what the teacher achieves in the classroom, by understanding that the classroom is part of a larger community, also of course that each individual in the class has an interdependent relation to each other (including the teacher) the teacher, by changing something in him/herself or in his/her actions, is able to created change within the classroom dynamic. My training workshop aims at developing a fairly deep understanding of how this works, so that the teacher can deftly create changes which enable each child to come out of themselves and benefit from the class to develop themselves, in a happy and fulfilling way. As things become more positive and dynamic within the class, benefits begin in the child's life outside the class too. the child begins to understand themselves and also a bit how life works and their position in their interconnected life, become empowered in other areas too.

The individual teacher and his/her class benefit beyond imagining when they start to use the sustainable approach. When it is used in the wider sphere, on departmental or school level, the results in terms of student happiness, attendance, independent learning, assessment results etc are very dramatic.

Sustainable education methods can help establish value creating education where we are. Based on the reality of the interconnectedness of life and the environment, the soft power techniques enable the classroom to be a happy, stress-free and succesful community. And it's easy! Teachers report that their stress levels reduce and relationships with students make teaching fun again. This has got to be good for kids, and good for the future of all our communities.


Jill

Stephanie said...

Just for everyone's information -- the current SGI Quarterly is just stupendous -- it is all about the poetic heart. There is a storyteller SGI member from South Africa and another anti-aparteid poet and they both speak about the relationship between the story from oral tradition to poetry. quite wonderful and just what I needed for my community building work here in Nigeria.

Jill Rees said...

if you get this I managed to log in

Jill Rees said...

I've found some infor on spiral theory see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Dynamics
although I don't think it is particularly related to this someone might find it interesting. There has been a lot of 60s nonsense which is pseudo science by people wanting to sell books fairly unscrupulously so please check roots of any searches on this. Some of the tangent ideas are quite interesting in terms of making up a whole body of ideas, reasonable and some a bit wacky, which we will no doubt filter as we make our new philosphy for the world of the future.

Mind and Nature by Bateson is here http://www.scribd.com/doc/230439/Bateson-Gregory-Mind-and-Nature?ga_related_doc=1

Jill Rees said...

Here is a discussion about conciousness and definitions of this.
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=43589&page=21

Jill Rees said...

And this http://www.springerlink.com/content/r6w682145126552p/?p=9640a3cca87748bb91dc429e4ddbcaca&pi=4

According to contemporary scientists responding to Bateson discussion, the general view is that the problem of conciousness has not been solved satisfactorily and Bateson battled with this concept all his life. The basic problem of a link between physical life and non-materiality is at the root of all this. It is a very very tricky subject. Personally I think it is beyond the scope of this blog, and not necessary to sustainable education.