Friday, September 19, 2008

SOKA EDUCATORS INTERNATIONAL NETWORK Volume VI, Issue 3 Seeking to Build a Community of Life through Humanistic Education

Experience by Margit Urbassek, Vienna, Austria

My name is Margit and I have been chanting for 20 years in Vienna, Austria. I want to share my experience about how I changed my whole working situation as well as my teaching through chanting and through being an active member in SGI Austria.

In the beginning of my chanting I was working in an Austrian primary school as a teacher. I suffered a lot. This was just after I had come back from Great Britain where I had spent a year attending the international New Age community called Findhorn. I found the school system in Vienna to be very rigid.

In England I got in touch with alternative teaching forms. I love children very much and what I saw in the school system conflicted with what I had learned. I had very bad experiences with teacher colleagues in Austria who from my perspective treated the children terribly. So my lifestate got rather low. I felt that I wanted to support the children, but as long as I felt stuck in this school system which suppressed teachers and children, I didn´t know how to help really them.

When I started chanting I felt the pressure inside myself get bigger and I felt even more terrible. I talked often with my seniors in faith and I heard that this is all my karma. That I can change this. I wanted to leave the school system and felt that I could not be an adequate teacher there. Also I discovered by regularly dancing in studios, that I started to love dance and that I should teach in this direction. Plus I am certified in classical and shiatsu massage and I was very good at this as well.

The senior leaders told me: "NO, don't leave school, that's the place where your karma is, and I would take it with me if I left the school. I rather should chant to change something in the school and to change my situation." This was very hard for me, but I trusted the senior leaders 100 percent. I chanted sometimes inside the whole morning, to endure the situations with bad collegues and the terrible atmosphere in school.

I felt inside three abilities : I loved supporting the children, I loved dancing and I loved doing massage and bodywork for people. I realized I didn't want to teach children writing and reading. I felt that I wanted to support their artistic abilities and creativity.

I was also the only SGI primary school teacher in Austria at the time. I saw that I had to change a lot of karma.

I chanted to go to a different school and through chanting I said to myself, I will only take a teaching position in a new school where I feel free in my teaching and feel good about the working situation. In Austria at that time you had to take what you could get in the school system but I said to myself after many daimoku: I am the one who is choosing to make this change happen. I chanted Nam Myoho Renge Kyo and was convinced in the meantime I am in the perfect place for kosen rufu.

I came upon a different school where my colleagues were much more open and where the headmaster there, a very nice woman, understood me and really supported me as a young teacher.

The first time I felt good going to my work as a teacher. Through chanting and through a colleague there, I found a contact to a new Montessori education course and I immediately took part on this course. In the Montessori education I could change my whole attitude towards teaching in primary school and I felt for the first time that my inside task is very much to teach children of this age, and I felt free and not unencumbered by the Austrian school system. I felt myself as a human and as a teacher who really loves teaching and the children. I felt I had the freedom to teach really what I want.

Chanting supported me during my education very much. Mr. Claus Kaul, my Montessori teacher, who is now a friend for life, supported me to stand up for my special teaching abilities which seemed to be really in artistic expression and dance. He supported me to have the courage to change the school system from inside . So I started in my school several dance classes with daimoku as the base and also with Montessori knowledge.

The dance classes increased and I had sometimes 50 children coming on their own accord in the afternoons. The classes were a real success and I definitely demonstrated that I have the ability to teach creative dance to children. Sometimes I came with an African drummer to school or with other artists I knew, to show students examples of creative dance and different styles. Obviously such a thing was something totally new in the primary school. I got then four schools to do the same program and the children began to give little performances on a stage in the city. They were all very successful and I was very grateful.

I kept on for seven years to assist in Montessori education to keep in touch with this educational system and to keep on learning. There were many things I found that were very similar to Makiguchi's educational philosophy. I started to discuss Buddhism with our well known Montessori and reform educator Claus Kaul and gave him books and told him from Soka education. In November 1997 I succeeded to make contact between Claus Kaul, and our Austrian Culture Centre, and our general director Joshio Nakamura.

At this same time Mr. Kaul happened to be looking for a new room for his workshops. And so for four years he taught official Montessori education at our Culture Center. 45 teachers would participate at each one-year course. In this way people came in touch with Sensei's house. I was also able to offer a dance program for each course that to support it. In this way I often came to talk about our Buddhism and what we members are doing in our Culture Centre.

In my own work, more and more children came into my dance classes. My program was already in four schools yet I still had to teach twelve hours in a "normal" classroom. I felt I only lived to work for the school and had no free time.

I realized I either had to reduce all teaching classes or change all teaching hours into dance classes. But to teach "only "dance in a primary school was forbidden from the school law. I chanted again to make the impossible possible. Again my Montessori educator Mr. Claus Kaul helped me out. He said that he knew a headmaster in Vienna who wanted to start a total new reform pedagogical school where he wanted to have dance as it is good for learning. Since then I really have been a dance teacher for creative educational dance and contemporary dance full time for the past ten years.

In short, I have spent the last ten years to building up this school as well as my dance classes which are officially a fixed part of the school schedule. The children learn about dance and learn to create their own dances as well as perform with me. The school and dance classes are my mission for kosenrufu. The children love to have real dance in their program. We are the only school in Austria having a set up like this. The dance classes do also integrate our twenty-five "handicapped people" who live together with all the other children .

The school is a model school now since several years in Austria. Many students from the different pedagogical academies come to us to learn and watch our teaching.

I also presented the Earth Charter exhibition "Seeds of Change" and President Ikeda through this medium in the school. It was a big project and all of the teachers worked with their children on the different themes of the exhibition. A neighbor school took the exhibition next and I helped initiate the teachers there to create a school project from it. Many interesting things came from the work of the children. I also helped to bring the exhibition to the school where my sister works and my sister brought the exhibition to the University Klagenfurt which is south of Vienna and is a student exchange university of the Soka University in Japan.

I have to say that through my Buddhist practice and trying to go with Sensei I found the necessary free space for my pedagogical work with creative children-dance using the principals of Sensei in education which are Wholeness-Creativity and Internationality in our school and make an official contribution to his work as an educator.

I myself feel very happy there as teacher in our school. We colleagues are a very complex working team who always talk honestly with each other and try to respect each other and the children. Daisaku Ikeda said in his essay "Personality and Education," that for him the highest principle in education is the respect of the human being. I have the feeling that this means to do our best for the creativity of our children.

Now after all the activities and ten years building up the school and changing the Austrian school system through daimoku, another deep deep wish is becoming true this year, because I am expecting now my own baby together with my Nigerian boyfriend although my age is 46. Now I start to create my own family with daimoku plus I found a bigger flat 3 minutes from our SGI Culture Centre! I have a pause now in teaching and will think about dance-pedagogic(which means the way how to teach dance) from a different perspective again. I am very grateful that this still could happen and I just can tell that when the time is right the impossible is possible and everybody can become happy in all areas of life with our Buddhist practice and our relationship to Sensei Ikeda.

Vienna, 24. August Margit Urbassek
email - margit.urbassek@aon.at
http://www.lernwerkstatt.or.at/



Photos of Margit's students:














The SOKA EDUCATORS INTERNATIONAL NETWORK is a volunteer project created to inspire educators who are implementing Soka Education in different ways. The Newsletter's new goal is to create a robust network of Soka educators to support the growing development of humanistic education. To be added to the mailing list or removed from it, or to receive back issues, please contact Stephanie Tansey at tansey@usa.net.

17 comments:

Jill Rees said...

Thank you for this experience Margit. It is really amazing. Recently I got guidance at the Centre in Vienna to keep on doing it for kosen rufu every day, this is how we progress. Your experience demonstrates how to do that, and is very inspiring.

Anonymous said...

Margit, so tell us how you teach children to dance. What do you do pedagogically? What is in your mind? In your daimoku?

Stephanie

Stephanie said...

Hi Margit,

How do you teach dance differently than the way children are taught ballet, for example, or modern dance?

Stephanie

Unknown said...

Thank you for this truly inspiring experience. I am new to the school education system (second career), I work in a secondary school in London but I'm not officially a teacher. I support children with special needs and this is my passion. I am also an Artist/designer so feel I can use my creativity to work well with these types of students. My experience at the moment is similar to yours 10 years ago.Thank you for this truly inspiring experience. I am new to the school education system (second career), I work in a secondary school in London but I'm not officially a teacher. I support children with special needs and this is my passion. I am also an Artist/designer so feel I can use my creativity to work well with these types of students. My experience at the moment is similar to yours 10 years ago. I'm struggling with a suppressed and rigid system in my school especially with regard to those students with learning difficulties. Your experience has given me encouragement to really develop my mission for Kosen Rufu in this area and I will chant strongly to be in the right environment to do this and to gain a deeper understanding of Soka Education and Sensei's vision. Your experience has given me encouragement to really develop my mission for Kosen Rufu in this area and I will chant strongly to be in the right environment to do this and to gain a deeper understanding of Soka Education and Sensei's vision.

Anonymous said...

Thank you JIll!
Thank you for being in Vienna also.
You are doing great work as well, just write me an e-mail whenever you can. Would like to stay in contact. Was nice to get to know you in Vienna.
Many greetings Margit

eradefte said...

Hi anonymous!
What I have studied is several years a study in Germany called integrative dancepedagogics as well. You can find it under i-tp.de or dit in google.
I also danced myself for many years. Out of my own dance I studied dancepedagogics in different ways and many daimoku
Basically is my attitude that all the students feel content and safe in the teaching class and feel a space to develop themselves. There is a structure in which one can stay creative.
The bodytechniques are wholistic and for the health of the whole body. So musclerelaxation is an important part as well as work on the spine as a basis for any technique in dance.
The attitude is for me to bring the person in contact with the own body and with the own potential of dance so at the end one is able to create his/her own dance and choreografies or they learn how to do it.

If you want to know more just write me an e-mail with your questions as it was many years of study and daimoku.
margit.urbassek@aon.at
Many greetings Margit

eradefte said...

HI stephanie!
The way my teaching is different to usual Ballett is that it is no ballett, but you could use the teaching to enrich usual ballett.
I use a basic work which relaxes the body and the mind and stretches the body in a way that is healthy for the body, and before to start any technique ther e is a time to really feel the own connection to dance, as a technique is always coming from outside. I try to connect so that even technique can come from inside.
Integrative dancepedagogics is so closer to Modern dancetechniques, new dance or contemporary dance if you want to put it somewhere.In my study we had also ballett , but with the spine and bodyrelaxwork in the beginning.
If you want to get to know about the method you can look in google under I-tp or dit ( german institute for dancepedagogics or integrative dancepedagogics) .
Its the way of teaching which is different than in common studios as the attitude is on qualitiy of pedagogics and contents rather than on dancebusiness.The students are accepted in their individuality and their lives and expressions are most important. They should feel content in their work first of all ,with all their needs. Its also a systemically perception , a wholistic perception which differs to usual
danceclasses where often the danceteacher is most important, and professional students often a re not so happy.
A lot of daimoku did help me to clear the contents of my teaching and to find the right teachers for myself in the right time so I could develop.
The most deep I learned through being myself alone in the classroom only with the children or students and with the daimoku to develop a deepness in the teaching.
I hope to answer your question. Many greetings Margit Urbassek

eradefte said...

Hello a!

Thank you for sharing your experience!It touches me in my heart. I can understand what you feel in your situation.
Yes dont give up, chant many daimoku and go with Sensei, you will win!
If you want to stay in touch, write an e-mail, it would be interesting for me, how it goes on in yourlife:margit.urbassek@aon.at
All the best Margit

Stephanie said...

Margit,

I teach something I call Earth Charter Community Skills - environmental consciousness, community skills and dialogue skills. I too have discovered that I create a safe space so people are willing to be creative and personal that also turns out to be transformative.

I think it is the respect we have for the life in front of us. Of course Sensei really does it better than anyone. Then the technique coming from inside -- that is very interesting and reminds me of Sensei's inner motivated spirituality brought into consciousness, which I have also worked on, esp. in my Makiguchi based school ini China.

I just never thought about their bodies!! Truly a profound and important area. Thanks!

Stephanie

eradefte said...

Dear Stefanie!
Thank you very much for your comment, its very interesting what you teach, I also would like to know more about what you are doing, as through the Earth charter exhibitions I thought alot how to keep on more and more places and groups of people for the exhibition.
Maybe we can stay also in e-mail contact. margit.urbassek@aon.at
My sister might be also interested as she is teaching geography, english and environmental skills in an school for A-level students and she worked with the exhibiton as well.
Which country are you from?
Many greetings and thanks !!!
margit

Jill Rees said...

I was startled (stung like Socrates jellyfish really) to read your definition Margit

"Its the way of teaching which is different than in common studios as the attitude is on quality of pedagogics and contents rather than on dance business.The students are accepted in their individuality and their lives and expressions are most important." and the bit that follows to say that in normal classrooms the teacher is the most important. That is ridiculous, we have to remember at all times that the students are the important thing!

This sentence you have said is what I think could be said to be a definition of Soka Education, such that we have been searching for.

Bravo also to the teacher in London, I understand what you are experiencing. I teach in UK schools too sometimes. In the UK we have 'inclusive' teaching environments ie we include all children, irrespective of their additional needs, whether mental or physical. This presents particular challenges for us, as well as giving us particular benefits. Although other countries don't have complete inclusivity, I have never heard any teacher ever say they would prefer children with special needs to be sent away to their own schools, even though it makes teaching more challenging. As an SEN teacher (and you ARE a teacher hun!) what is your view about this? Is it a moral question that we should have integrated classrooms? Thanks you for your responses. Love to you all, kwonder Soka pioneers and human revolutionaries.
Jill (stung and throbbing with ideas now thank you)

eradefte said...

Hi JIll!
Thanks for your comment! Its true. What I meant what is happening in socalled normal classrooms is still often reality in many cases. But also in Austria are now already many schools with open learning and inclusive and systemic teaching , as well as children live in integrative classrooms. This is coming more and more.
I send you many greetings and til soon hopefully.
Margit

Constance said...

Posting for Susan Tan-

Wow! Your experience and tenacity was very inspirational. I’ve been teaching art education in Ohio in the US for about 12 years in an urban district; 2 schools, 500 students. The arts get a rough ride especially with educational monies always in flux. I teach K-5 (primary grades) and when they do art, like dance, they glow full of appreciation for the experience. However I find that the hardest persons to convince of the positive effects one has on the students are administrators. Is that the same in Austria?

Also, my daughter is at SUA (Soka University of America). It’s her freshman year. She went to an arts/academic high school and her medias were dance and photography. She can’t do without dance in her life. She dances Modern and started a dance club at SUA this year. Even at SUA, dance struggles with credibility, time and money; academics are always favored. Where I understand this on one level, I find that somehow the arts are what leave lasting impressions on peoples’ lives. What are your thoughts on balancing the arts and academics?

I will send her your email address and experience, if you don’t mind. She’s very busy and struggling to learn Chinese, and I know her time for writing is minimized, but whether now or in the future, as her mom, I try and extend connections for her passions and development. Her name is Megan. She’s in International Studies and once told me that it is her desire to use dance as a means or vehicle to bring people together. Would you have any advice that I might pass along to her?

Thanks so much again for sharing your passion, experience and victory for dance education!

Susan

Susantan51@hotmail.com

Stephanie said...

Po says:

i sooo enjoyed reading what Susan and Terry wrote and shared. mahalo/thank-you!
i also remembered that while living in the Bay Area (San Fran) specifically in Palo Alto and i sat on the United Nations Associaiton Board of Directors for some time while living there, before moving back to my homeland of Hawai`i, we worked on "model U.N." for middle, high school and college. we had "mini" mock U.N. assemblies and sessions throughout the Bay Area. we worked alot with Stanford Univ. in the nearby neighborhood. we also worked on and developed Model U.N. curriculum. so, might i suggest we get our hands on some of the U.N. curriculum to perhaps encourage us not to "re-invent the wheel" so to speak? i will have to look long and hard for mine...i've used it profusely but have loaned it out soooo many times to various teachers, schools and U.N.A. (Hilo). we (SGI) members in the Bay Area, i lived in San Jose, Sunnyvale and Campbell at various times while living there. we (SGI) were encouraged to participate in as many U.N.A. events as possible by our then Leader, Danny Nagashima. many of us like myself got very involved w/our community U.N.A. i supported U.N. themed plays and events. i supported the youth division w/a 50 year celebration of United Nations event. i supported U.N.A. events locally that welcomed various visitors from other countries. i supported all of this as a community member and SGI member, following in the same guidance of Sensei via Danny Nagashima, i have supported and coordinated fashion show fundraisers for local U.N.A. i have brought (2) model U.N. youth to the San Jose Community Center (SGI) to share thoughts on Pres. Ikeda's then peace proposal. they were impressed and outstanding speakers. the local members (SGI) really welcomed them! but i almost forgot about the development of U.N. curriculum, pretty cool beans! hook-up w/a local U.N.A. organization and ask for the curriculum or perhaps it's on the U.N.A. website. worth a look see. i remember it being powerful! it would make a great template for SEIN to follow. another suggestion: at some point perhaps when we work on any long term documents, SEIN should think about using "WEB-EX" or a prototype that will encourage everyones ability to type, edit and communicate at the same time as we work on the document. nmrk *po

Stephanie said...

Hi everyone again!


I am glad we are getting serious about the disarmament exhibition -- as we have all noted -- it is so easy to forget about disarmament. Below is a passage somebody just sent to me. what a mystic work we do!
The main reason relations between different peoples and cultures degenerate into the kind of atrocity symbolized by "ethnic cleansing" is to be found in closed thinking and narrowness that grips people's minds. People of different ethnic groups who managed until only days before to live side by side without particularly overt problems are suddenly at each other's throats, as if prodded and moved only by hatred. It is difficult to believe that the recurrent strife and bloody conflicts we are witnessing today have broken out solely because the restraining frameworks of ideology and authoritarianism were removed. Economic hardship cannot explain it either, though it may have acted as the trigger; if that were the underlying cause, there would be no necessity to resort to killing. We can only conclude that the true cause lies deeper, in a disease of close-mindedness whose roots are submerged in the history of civilization.

And I really like Po's suggestions for interactive support for the website. This way Constance does not need to spend so many hours (and Rees!) keeping things up to date.

I also appreciated Susan's FNCC guidance -- lets' make SEIN more than I (the founder) every dreamed it could be.

For today let's talk about:
How do you see the new international buddy system working and growing??

We want a steady development for SEIN but what I have observed in the past forums is that many more sign up then actually participate. While this is normal for online discussions it did make me realize that there were things we could do to support others. Here is what the Report says:

Buddy System for the Online Forums

The first new development is to introduce a Buddy System for anyone who wants it or for those who want to help others learn the ropes to SEIN forums so that more and more people can enjoy the riches we all get out of it. We want to offer this buddy system for new community members, for those in need of support in your language; and for those who need technical help. The current buddies are: Constance Haig, Jill Rees, Terry Ellis, Dave Koranda, Dennis Merimsky and Stephanie Tansey. If you’d like to be a buddy please contact Stephanie. If you feel like you’d like to have a buddy to help you enjoy the Online Forums, please contact Stephanie.

So now we’d like to ask your opinion on how to do this so it really works. We think that these buddy relationships should be multinational relationships as much as possible, for example, a French-American buddy team or an Austrian-Brazilian team. We also think we should limit these buddy systems to the month before and after the forums. Also that one buddy should only have five such relationships. SEIN is not a full time activity and we are all busy educating our students so we don’t want to add to your work. We want the buddy system to enrich everyone’s teaching.

Some could be language buddies, others could be techie buddies, -- these are who need it the most at present. However as some have suggested, we could eventually form professsional buddies -- ESL teachers, Math teachers, history teachers, foreign language teachers, or buddy groupings that you might feelwould be good.

Okay! Over to you!

Stephanie

eradefte said...

Hi Constance!
Thank you for your letter! Sorry I reply so late, but I will get my baby in a few days and dont look so often in the computer at the moment.
Its great what you are teaching.
What is most difficult ,I
find is the way how official schools are organized in Austria. Out of that many teachers are always close to burn out , there is also no supervision for teachers. If teachers are interested in further
education or supervision they
have to pay all by themselves.
This is one exampel.

Its great what your daughter is doing in
the Soka University. Great she is dancing!!!
I believe that dance-education and dancepedagogics has earned to be treated on an academic level.
There is so much knowledge around dance and danceart .
I only know that the University in Bern , Switzerland has an academic dancestudy.
And the study I did had a high level, but was more private but you can look to www.i-tp.de , what this is about.
During my study I had
a teacher, called Jacky Davis , she teaches close to New York in an normal University , a professional danceeducation. I liked her very much.
She introduced dance to that university , and now its like that: everybody who goes to University and studies Mathe or Physics e.g. has also to take dance and art classes for the first 2 years.
This is something we dream of here in Austria.
I am happy I managed to etablish dance in
Primary school system . But maybe a possibility comes to go further with it as well.
Maybe your daughter can contact Jackie Davis
as she has experience in combining different artforms and subjects.
If she likes to contact me she can also write me:margit.urbassek@aon.at

Hope to hear from you again.

Many greetings Margit Urbassek

Constance said...

Hi Margit - and congratulations re: new baby! You replied to me but you really meant to reply to Susan Tan
Susantan51@hotmail.com

Best Wishes, Constance